1. Obliterate (v) /əˈblɪt.ər.eɪt/: xoá sạch (dấu vết…)
Example: A great many of those species, like the koala, the southern brown bandicoot and the long-footed potoroo, have populations living in the regions now being obliterated by the fires.
2. Flee (v) /fliː/: to escape by running away, especially because of danger or fear: bỏ trốn…, rời bỏ…
Example: Fires had destroyed houses, sheds and cars and forced thousands of people to flee their homes.
3. Face catastrophic fire danger: đối mặt với thảm họa cháy rừng
Example: The greater Sydney region will face catastrophic fire danger on Tuesday for the first time
4. A deadly fire season: mùa cháy rừng chết chóc
Example: Searing heat and afternoon winds propelled fires over large swaths of Australia on Saturday, adding to the devastation of a deadly fire season that has now claimed 24 lives.
5. Unseasonably hot weather: thời tiết nóng trái mùa
Example: The fires follow unseasonably hot weather.
6. Extremely arid conditions: điều kiện cực kỳ khô cằn
Example: The damage is expected to only get worse in the extremely arid conditions that are allowing the fires to spread.
7. Weather patterns: kiểu thời tiết
Example: The fires are also so hot and so large that they are creating their own weather patterns, which can worsen the conditions.
8. Record-breaking temperatures: nhiệt độ phá kỉ lục
Example: While Australia has long dealt with bush fires and record-breaking temperatures have made for a more volatile and unpredictable season.
9. A state of emergency: trạng thái cấp cứu
Example: Victoria has declared a state of disaster and NSW has declared a state of emergency.
10. In the fire threat zone: trong khu vực bị đe dọa bởi cháy
Example: His neighbor was staying in the fire threat zone.
11. To be filled with choking smoke: bị bao phủ bởi khói
Example: In Nowra, a coastal town two hours south of Sydney, the sky went dark as the air filled with choking smoke.
12. To be shrouded in…: bị bao phủ bởi
Example: The city is shrouded in the choking smoke
13. Get the blazes under control: kiểm soát ngọn lửa
Example: the challenge the government faces in getting the blazes under control.
14. Battle the fires: chiến đấu với ngọn lửa
Example: Residents need additional government resources to battle the fires.
15. Reduce heat-trapping emissions
Example: The government needed to do more not just to reduce heat-trapping emissions, but also to help the country adapt to a warmer world.
16. Firefighting efforts
Example: About 3,000 army reservists, along with aircraft and naval ships, are being made available to help with the evacuation and firefighting efforts.