DESCRIBE A BOOK THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO READ AGAIN.
You should say:
what the book was about
why you read it
what you learned from this book
and explain why you would like to read it again
(1st introduction): Well, as a bookworm/ an avid reader, there are numerous books which I can list out for you. However, the book “How to enjoy life and job” is definitely a masterpiece which literally helps me turn my life over a new leaf.
(2nd introduction): Well, this topic really tickles my fancy because I always have a strong preference for books, especially self-help books. There is an impressive book which I am going to share with you today is the booknamed “How to enjoy life and job” by Dale Carnegie.
I actually first came to know this book a couple of years ago when I was browsing several must-read books at a local bookstore. I was instantly captivated by this book’s title.
So, it is beautifully written by Dale Carnegie - an American writer and lecturer. He is also the developer of famous course in self-development, public speaking and interpersonal skills.
What really makes this book special is that it actually offers multiple stories of people who have moved from boredom, frustration and fatigue into successful fulfilling lives. Also, this book also shows us how to fill each day with excitement, how to create a new approach to life and maximize our inner strengths. It’s so convincing because there are many practical examples of how both famous and ordinary people have hit rock-bottom and how they rose again. Although some of terms are old, I think the situations he describe aren’t limited to any generation.
The most prominent thing that I take away is the golden rule which I gain tremendously. It is “a genuine interest in others will get you far”. He illustrates this idea by giving us an example from a dog - man’s best friend. “The only creature who doesn’t have to work for a living! A hen has to lay an egg, a cow has to give milk and a canary has to sing. But a dog makes his living by giving us nothing but love”. He always jumps excitedly to show how much he likes you. And you know, behind this show of affection, there are no ulterior motives. And that is how a dog always win man’s heart. This fact really broaden my mindset and I am now very much aware of how to treat people with more respect and admiration. We won’t ever win anyone’s heart by trying to get them interested in us. Instead, show our genuine interest in people so we could be more successful in various relationships.
All in all, this book is a must-read again and again. You will find you life taking on a new meaning and wonderful perspective!
noun /ˈbʊk.wɜːm/: a person who reads a lot: mọt sách
adjective /ˈnjuː.mə.rəs/: many: vô vàn, rất nhiều
Example: We have discussed these plans on numerous occasions.(Chúng tôi đã thảo luận về các kế hoạch này trong nhiều dịp.)
noun /ˈmɑː.stə.piːs/: masterwork a work of art such as a painting, film, or book that is made with great skill: 1 tác phẩm kinh điển
Example: Leonardo’s "Last Supper" is widely regarded as a masterpiece. ("Bữa tối cuối cùng" được coi là một kiệt tác.)
- Turn over a new leaf = start behaving in a better way: chuyển sang 1 trang mới
Example: Apparently he's turned over a new leaf and he's not smoking any more. (Rõ ràng anh ta đã đổi mới và anh ta không hút thuốc nữa.)
- Tickle sb'sfancy = If something tickles your fancy, you like it and want to have it: khiến mình thích cái gì đó
Example: Does anything on the menu tickle your fancy? (Có bất cứ thứ gì trên menu khiến bạn thích không.?)
- Have a strong preference for: có 1 sự thích cực mãnh liệt cho cái gì đó….
- Self-help books: các sách kiểu tự khuyến khích/ giúp đỡ bản thân
- An impressive book:1 cuốn sách ấn tượng
- Acouple of years ago = 2 years ago: 2 năm trước
- Must-readbooks: những sách nhất định phải đọc
- To be instantly captivated by…: ngay lập tức bị ấn tượng bởi cái gì đó
- To bebeautifully written by…. được viết tuyệt đẹp (hay) bởi….
- Interpersonal skills = communication skill: kĩ năng giao tiếp
- What really makes this bookspecial is that: điều mà khiến cho cuốn sách này thực sự đặc biệt đó chính là…
noun /frʌsˈtreɪ.ʃən/: the feeling of being annoyed or less confident because you cannot achieve what you want, or something that makes you feel like this: sự bối rối (không biết phải làm sao)
Example: I could sense his frustration at not being able to help. (Tôi có thể cảm nhận được sự thất vọng của anh ấy khi không thể giúp đỡ.)
noun /fəˈtiːɡ/ = extreme tiredness: sự mệt mỏi
Example: She was suffering from fatigue.
- Maximize our inner strengths: tối đa hoá những sức mạnh tiềm ẩn của chúng ta
adjective /kənˈvɪn.sɪŋ/: able to make you believe that something is true or right: mang tính thuyết phục
Example: The end of the book wasn't very convincing. (Phần cuối của cuốn sách không thuyết phục lắm.)
- Ordinary people: những người bình thường
- Rock bottom
noun /ˌrɒk ˈbɒt.əm/: the lowest possible level:
Example: Confidence in the government is at rock bottom. (Niềm tin vào chính phủ là đang xuống đáy rồi.)
- The most prominent thing that I take away is…điều quan trọng nhất mà tôi lĩnh hội được đó chính là….
adjective /ˈdʒen.ju.ɪn/: if people or emotions are genuine, they are honest and sincere: thực sự, chân thành
Example: He’s a very genuine person.
- Gain tremendously: lĩnh hội được nhiều vô cùng
noun /ˈkriː.tʃər/ : any large or small living thing that can move independently: sinh vật
Example: Rainforests are filled with amazing creatures.(Rừng mưa nhiệt đới chứa đầy những sinh vật tuyệt vời.)
- Work for a living! = make a living = to earn enough money to buy the things youneed: kiếm sống
Example: You can make a good living (= earn a lot of money) in sales if you have the right attitude.
- Lay an egg: đẻ trứng
- No ulterior motives: không có những động cơ trước đó nào cả.
- Broaden my mindset = broaden my horizon: mở rộng tầm nhìn
noun /pəˈspek.tɪv/ : a particular way of considering something: quan điểm, cách nhìn nhận
Her attitude lends a fresh perspective to the subject.(Thái độ của cô đem lại 1 quan điểm mới cho chủ đề).